Sunday, August 26, 2012

Time Flies When You're Having Fun

Wow! I can’t believe that readiness camp with the 5th graders is already over! They did such a great job over the past two weeks and I am so excited to see them when school starts. This week definitely flew by! I guess that it is true that time flies when you’re having fun. =p This upcoming week we have staff training days and then school begins on September 4th!

So let’s recap on the last 3 days of camp and this weekend!

August 22, 2012

Today we went back to Lincoln Woods, the lake where we went the very first day of readiness camp. It was much better this time because all of the boys had their swimsuits and were able to go in the water if they wanted. They also got a kickball game going which was interesting to say the least. I gladly accepted the position of umpire. =) 

Things that made me happy today:
-          Student: (after seeing his reflection in my sunglasses) “Wow. My hair looks good.”
-          One of the students knowing Mafia and teaching it to the other kids during free time (I would just like to point out that even though I did help explain the game, I did not bring it up or suggest that it be played. I’m all about wholesome games for the 5th graders.)
-          Getting cookies in the mail from my BFF Alison O’Connor!!! It was such a wonderful surprise to come home to! =D
-          Getting a facebook post from Liana Vantrease, who is a fellow LV, telling me that she is using the happiness journal idea in her classroom!!!
-          Celebrating BMR’s bday with the community =) 

“God gave us two hands… One to help ourselves, and one to help others.” 

August 23, 2012

Things that made me happy today:
-          Being told I’m “assertive” and that I’m going to do great at San Miguel
-          All of the kids switching seats a thousand times in the auditorium during our tour of LaSalle Academy
-          Looking up Marc (the guy from Spain who is going to be living with us) on Facebook and on Google
-          Searching for marathon flights with B. Dan 

“Work for a cause, not for applause. Live life to express, not to impress. Don’t strive to make your presence noticed, just make your absence felt.”

August 24, 2012 

Last day of readiness camp! It honestly went by so fast. We had an all day field trip today, so we left soon after the students arrived. We went to Pulaski Park, which was a pretty low key beach by a lake with a nice field to the side where the kids could play games if they wanted to. It was a very relaxing day spent on the beach. The boys swam, built sandcastles, tried to catch tadpoles, and played Frisbee. Probably the cutest thing ever was this 4 year old kid who just walked over and started helping two of our students build a sandcastle. The two San Miguel boys were so sweet to him, and the 4 year old kid loved the fact that he was helping!
After school I took a much needed nap before dinner, and then we just had a chill community night watching “Say Yes to the Dress” and B. Dan’s favorite… “Fashion Police” =)

Things that made me happy today:
-          The bus ride to Pulaski Park was about 45 minutes. About 30 minutes in, the kids started asking if we were in Texas.
-          Beach all day
-          One of the students teaching another student how to float
-          One of the 8th grade students was making his pec muscles move and the 5th graders were absolutely fascinated by it. Then, one of the 5th graders says, “I’m gonna do that. I’ll be like, *boom* *boom*… Wanna go out?”
-          Conversation at dinner… Angela: “BMR, did you make this potato salad?” BMR: “Yeah.” Angela: “It’s really good.” BMR: “I know.” Haha he’s so humble.

 “Do what you can… with what you have… where you are.” – Theodore Roosevelt

August 25, 2012

Things that made me happy today:
-          Finally rearranging my room! [see pictures below!]
-          Getting a plethora of school supplies for only $11 (Gotta love Wally World!)
-          Going to church with BMR and Sophia
-          Dinner at Amy and Sophia’s apartment
-          BMR talking to us about how he read “50 Shades of Grey”

“Cause these are the days worth living, these are the years we're given, and these are the moments, these are the times, let's make the best out of our lives…” – Our Lives by The Calling
 
Pictures of my humble abode (all it needs are some posters and more pictures!):
 
My bed and bookshelf

 My dressers

 My lovely desk

The view from my window
 
And at my mom's request... pictures of the Pawtucket Palace! (aka where I am living)


 

No comments:

Post a Comment